Thursday, October 17, 2013

Michelle's Kale Barley Soup

My daughter "Michelle" gave me this recipe this week. With so much kale in my garden and these cool days, this sounded like such a treat.
It is really good. In fact I made it last evening after a meeting and had it for breakfast this morning. I teach in CHIP that we are to eat like a king for breakfast, prince for lunch and pauper for your evening meal. Well that is what I did this morning. It was really great.

Ingredients:
  • 1 white onion-chopped
  • 1 shallot-chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves-I used more-minced fine
  • 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1 14 oz can tomatoes-low sodium please
  • 3 cups vegetable broth-this is a good place to use what you have made or otherwise low sodium if you buy it
  • 2 cups water
  • 3/4-1 cup barley
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce-low sodium
  • 2-3 carrots shredded
  • 4-5  stalks celery-chopped-use leaves also
  • 3 leaves kale, stripped from stem- I used a lot more
  • 1 green pepper-chopped
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons Italian seasonings
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley-more if it is fresh
  • I also through in some pinto beans I had in my frig.
Directions:
  1. Saute onion, shallots,  until tender. I added my curry powder also at this time to enhance the flavor
  2. Add garlic, continue to saute.
  3. Add green pepper and celery and continue to saute.
  4. Add the rest of the ingredients.
  5. Season to taste.
  6. Add kale just for a minute or two just until it goes limp.

Tip from Verna's test Kitchen:

I added my kale  as I used it. because I live alone I did not want my kale to overcook.
Plus I added a lot more.

Enjoy!!


No comments: