Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Kale Lemon Cilantro and Tomato Sandwich

Yes this is my sandwich, which was falling apart. Rip Esselstyn who wrote the Engine 2 Diet was in town this last week with lots of other national speakers. I found this recipe in his book so decided to give it a try as I am trying to use up my kale in the garden.

Ingredients:
  • 1 bunch of kale rinsed and drained
  • 4 slices whole grain bread-toasted
  • Hummus
  • 4 green onions-chopped
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro or parsley
  • Zest and juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 lemon with peel on, sliced very thin
Directions:
  1. Remove kale from the stems. chop kale into bite size pieces. Steam kale for 5 minute
  2. Toast Bread, spread with hummus.
  3. Pile cilantro, green onions,thin slices of lemon on top of hummus.
  4. Remove all water from kale.
  5. Put zest and lemon juice on kale, mix well.
  6. Place a large amount of lemon kale on your sandwich. Rip Esselstyn says lots of lemon makes it great. (questionable)
  7. I added tomato to my sandwich.

The first time I made it I put it in my Foreman Grill. It held together a lot better. Of course I put Earth Balance on the outside of the bread so it would toast nicely.

Enjoy!!


No comments: