Saturday, October 5, 2013

Verna's Kale Pesto

I have so much kale in my garden and decided to make some kale pesto. Is there such a thing?? Well there is now!!! I plan on freezing some of this.

This is so good with crackers, veggies or just on a sandwich as a spread. 

Ingredients:
  • 1 bunch of kale-stripped from stems and washed really well
  • 2 tablespoons EVOO-I did not use
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice-or 1 lemon squeezed
  • 1/2-3/4 cups walnuts-go easy!
  • 1/3 cup water from the kettle that the kale was blanched in if needed.
  • 1/2-3/4 cups Parmesan cheese of choice.-I used 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast the second time I made it in place of the cheese.
  • 2-4 fresh garlic cloves or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • Pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. Steam kale  for 5 minutes-Please don't cook!!
  2. Drain and run cold water over immediately to cool, so it stays nice and green..
  3. Put in food processor with the rest of the ingredients.
  4. Blend until really creamy adding more water if necessary.
None of the above measurements where exact. Every time I just guessed and it always turned out.
Well maybe always. Yesterday I made 2 batches because the first batch I put in waaaaaaaaaay to much garlic. So made the second batch without garlic and mixed the two batches together.

You can eliminate oil, cheese and nuts from this recipe and it would be so healthy you could eat lots and lots  of it with fresh veggies, and it would be so very good for you. Remember Kale is the King of the Vegetables. I am going to be so healthy eating all of this kale.

By the way it freezes up beautifully. I put it in a small glass jars.  Be sure to leave head space so the jar does not break.Cover the top of the pesto with  unbleached parchment paper so the pesto will not turn brown when thawing. I thawed a jar it was great!!!

Enjoy!!!

No comments: