Friday, June 25, 2010

Corn Quinoa Salad

I got this recipe out of Vegetarian Times Magazine the July and August issue.
It is quite good.
The next day I decided it was just tooooo flat for my taste, so I add some ingredients to make it come alive. I now really enjoy it. Check note on bottom,

Salad:
1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
1/2 tsp salt-I did not use
1 1/2 cups corn-fresh or frozen
1 1/2 cups of halved cherry or grape tomatoes
1 cup finely chopped red cabbage
1 cup diced cucumber-I peeled it and used more

Dressing:
1/2 cup EVOO-I used 1/4 cup
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3 Tablespoons maple syrup
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
1 tsp. salt-I used 1/2 tsp

Directions:
1-Bring quinoa, water, salt to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until water is absorbed.
2-Cook corn 1 minute. Rinse under cold water and drain well.
3-Stir together quinoa, tomatoes, cabbage, cucumbers and corn.
4-To make dressing: Mix all ingredients together in a blender until smooth. Stir into salad.

Comments from Verna's test kitchen:
1-I add fresh ground black pepper to the dressing.
2-Do not substitute the Dijon mustard-it desperately needs it in this recipe. In fact I used a whisker more.
3-Note-the next day,I decided it was just to flat so I added some Balsamic Vinegar mixed with honey to give it some oomph. When you leave the salt out of recipes, (which I did) You despertely need to get flavor in other ways.

Have a super wonderful day. Enjoy the sun!!!

No comments: