Thursday, June 3, 2010

Spinach Salad with Orange Vinaigrette

Laurie brought this recipe to our potluck tonight and it was great. Their where many other foods their that I did not get a chance to try as I was trying too help make things run smoothly.

Recipe:
2 large oranges zested and juiced
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 clove garlic, peeled- I would probably pick out really large ones
1/2 teaspoon salt- I probably would not put this in the recipe
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup EVOO-I probably would use 1/4 cup of oil + 1/4 cup water (optional)
10-12 oz. prewashed spinach or romaine

Options: dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, walnuts, drained mandarin oranges, grape tomatoes, maybe shredded carrots. and/or sliced red onions.

Directions:
1- In blender, combine the orange zest, orange juice, vinegar, honey, garlic, salt-if using and pepper. Blend until smooth. ( with blender running) add EVOO in steady stream until combined.
2-Transfer to a glass container with cover and store in refrigerator.
3-To serve, put spinach in large bowl. Add vinaigrette just before serving and any of the options.

Thanks Laurie for sharing. It was excellent.


* From Verna's test Kitchen:
I just made this recipe. I toasted the walnuts, which add's more earthy flavor.
I did add half water to the oil, which did not change the flavor, but removed allot of fat. I also doubled the recipe as I have lots of spinach in my garden.
This recipe is oh soooooooo very good. If you have not tried it, it is a must!!!!!

No comments: