Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Bar-B-Que Baked Lentils

I got this recipe from Meatout Mondays.
I thought this recipe was excellent the fourth time around. Had to make some changes. Explain later.

Recipe:
1 cup dried lentils
1/2 red onion-diced
2 garlic cloves, chopped fine-I use 4-I love garlic.
2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tablespoon dark brown sugar-I used a brown healthy sugar natural sugar.
1 Tablespoon molasses
1/4 cup catchup-I used Hunt's 100% Natural-No High Fructose Corn Syrup-with no sodium.
1/4 cup Dijon Mustard
1/2 cup barbecue sauce-use a low sodium sauce




Directions:
1-Cook lentils-30-40 minutes in boiling water-drain
2-Saute onion. Add garlic, saute 2 more minutes.
3-Add rest of ingredients, cook 5 more minutes
4- Pour over lentils. Put in baking dish.
Bake 350-45 minutes -I didn't cover them.

I doubled the recipe.

The original recipe called for 2 Chipotle Peppers in Adobe Sauce-chopped.
Wayyyyyyy to hot for me. They where really HOT!!!!! Was going to take the beans to a Memorial Day Picnic. I made 3 more double batches to tone down the heat.I have lots of hot BBQ beans in my freezer.

I would like to try this recipe using other beans.

I am interested in what you thought of this recipe.

I plan on bringing this recipe to the Alumni Potluck this evening.

No comments: