Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Curried Pumpkin Soup


I got the original recipe from Taste of Homes many years ago, but made changes to make CHIP friendly.


1 medium onion -chopped and sauteed
2 cups vegetable broth, I used mine that I make and freeze
2 teaspoon Wylers No Sodium Chicken Bullion
1 1/2 cups fresh cooked pie pumpkin-please not canned
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon curry powder-i used a little more
1 teaspoon organic brown sugar-or sweetener of choice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
black pepper to taste
1/2 cup plain soy creamer
several Tablespoons of finely hopped fresh parsley
sour cream or plain yogurt

Directions:

1-In kettle or dutch oven saute onion in oil of choice. Not EVOO.
2-Add all the rest of ingredients, except soy creamer and parsley.
3-Bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer 15 minutes
4-Stir in soy creamer and finely chopped parsley.

Comments from Verna's test Kitchen:

1-Soup is always better the second day.
2-I served this in pumpkin bowls that I had. In you don't have pumpkin bowls, serve in a small glass see through bowl.
3-I put some Greek Yogurt in a squeeze bottle , and squeezed a circle or two on top of the soup. I served this to my friend with a sprig of parsley, on top of the soup.
The stick blender came in so handy to get my soup nice and creamy
.This is a really nice soup to serve this time of the year.

Enjoy!! Comments appreciated.

Have a super evening.




No comments: