Saturday, September 18, 2010

Creamy Potato Garlic Soup

This turned out really good. I sort of made it up as I went.

Creamy Potato Garlic Soup

#2 cups leeks-finely chopped
3-4 stalks of celery-finely chopped
#6 cups home made broth or water
1 large bay leaf
#1/2 head of garlic-roasted-squeeze out of the top after it cools-check notes below
7-8 medium sized potato's-baked. I used Yukon Gold.
1 container original soy creamer
3 teaspoons Wylers sodium free Chicken Bullion
1-2 Tablespoons Roasted Garlic Vinegar- I used 2 Tablespoons
1-2 teaspoons Rosemary
1/2 teaspoons salt
lots of freshly ground black pepper
Touch of cayenne pepper
2 squirts of Bragg's Liquid Amino's-This adds a salty flavor
about 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2- 1 cup Parmesan cheese of choice
Handful of fresh parsley finely chopped

Directions:
1-In large kettle or dutch oven-Heat 2 Tablespoons of oil. When oil is hot, add chopped leeks and celery. Saute until translucent.
2-Add broth, garlic and bay leaf. Cook about 20 minutes.
3-Add baked potato that has been peeled and diced into small pieces.
4-Add Rosemary, chicken bullion, vinegar salt and pepper.I took my stick blender and blended every thing until it was quite smooth.
5-After turning burner to low, add soy creamer, cheese and fresh parsley, stirring well.
6-Add a few squirts Liquid Amino's and liquid smoke.Add more pepper if needed.

Comments from Verna's Kitchen:

1-I choose leeks as I did not want a strong onion flavor.Make sure to wash leeks well as they harbor a lot of dirt in their greens. I used only a small way up in the greens. After washing the rest of the greens I put them in my broth bag which I keep in the freezer,
2-If you are not making home made broth with your odds and ends of veggies, please do as it adds so much flavor to your soups and you won't have all the sodium that you will find in the store varieties.
3-To roast garlic, remove the paper on the garlic, leaving garlic intact.With a scissors cut off the top of the garlic exposing the inside of the cloves. Roast in hot oven, 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.I use my small broiler oven. When cool just squeeze the garlic out.
4-The liquid smoke adds a lot of flavor, Be careful as over use can ruin your soup.

If I had company, I would probably serve this with a high fiber bread that was toasted, sprayed with I can't Believe Its Butter, and sprinkled with garlic powder. I would put it under the broiler for just a minute or so. (don't let it burn) and cut into strips to serve.
I would put a sprig of parsley on the soup when serving. Want to come for supper?

Would be interested in your comments, and how you liked it.

Enjoy!!

Have a super great day!!



No comments: