Saturday, September 21, 2013

Beet and Lentil Hummus

It is that time of he year when everything needs to be pulled in the garden. My kitchen looks like a canning factory.
I love beets and decided to try this recipe. I love the color of it. It would be great sprinkled with chopped parsley on the top of the hummus before serving. Isn't this pretty!!!
This recipe called for lentils. Next time I make it I would like to try chickpeas in place of the lentils. The recipe did not call for roasted beets. But roasting just adds lots more flavor.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup lentils, cooked and drained
  • 2 medium beets, roasted, cooled and cut into chunks
  • 1 clove garlic peeled-I used more like 3
  • 2 Tablespoons tahini paste
  • 2 Tablespoons oil-I used coconut oil.
  • 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons lemon zest
  • I also added 1 teaspoon cumin

Directions:
  1. Cook lentils, drain. (extra lentils freeze up beautifully).
  2. Roast beets, cool cut into chunks..-To roast beets, clean , cut off tails and tops of beets. Wrap in parchment paper than tin foil. Bake at 425 degrees until tender.
  3. In a food processor add garlic, tahini, oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, and cumin. Process until very creamy..
  4.  Add beets and lentils. Continue processing until very smooth.
  5. Put in serving bowl, sprinkle with chopped parsley.
  6. Serve with veggies of choice.
Wouldn't this be a pretty Christmas Hummus!!!!

Enjoy!!!


No comments: