Monday, September 9, 2013

Vegetarian Beet Burgers

I found this recipe on Live Well Network.
 I love beets and had some in my garden so decided to give this  recipe a try. These patties had a really great flavor.The beets made the patties look more like hamburger
. I am about to freeze the patties. I put them on unbleached parchment paper before freezing. After frozen I bagged them up in twosies and marked for future eating.

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 lbs. beets, washed,peeled and cut into 1" pieces
  • 1/2 green lentils, cooked
  • 1/2 cup bulgur wheat, cooked
  • 1/2 cup roasted cashews, ground to a powder
  • 8 oz. crimini mushrooms, chopped like hamburger-these are the baby portabellas
  • 1/2 cup onion, minced
  • 1 clove garlic-minced-I used 
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme-I used more like 3 teaspoons
  • 1 teaspoon salt-I used about 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan Salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper-I used more like 1 teaspoon
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Place the chopped beets on slightly oiled pan and roast for about 20 minutes.-I put my beets on unbleached parchment paper.
  3. Remove from the oven and set aside.
  4. Saute onion,garlic for a couple of minutes.
  5. Add mushrooms, and  thyme continue to saute, 5-7 minutes
  6. Set aside to cool
  7. In a food processor, place the beets, buglur, onions, garlic and mushroom mixture
  8. Process until everything is combined and on the chunky side.
  9. Add cooked lentils, process just until mixed..
  10. Remove mixture from food processor, put in a bowl and refrigerate at least 1/2 hour.
  11. Divide mixture into 6 patties. I made them smaller so they would not fall apart. I had about 9 burgers.
  12.  Heat a griddle or frying pan spray with oil. when pan is hot, carefully cook patties about 5 minutes on each side.
  13. If using cheese, melt cheese on the burger.
  14. Serve on a bun or lettuce greens with caramelized onion, avocado if you like or whatever toppings you may prefer.
Enjoy!!!

No comments: