Saturday, November 23, 2013

Cauliflower 'N Cheese Bake-Vegan and Gluten Free

Some really special new friends from CHIP gave me this recipe. It need some added  seasonings to it but it was really tasty. I could easily make a meal of it.

Ingredients:
  • 1 large head of cauliflower-cut into bite size pieces
  • 2 1/4 cups cheese sauce-see below
  • 1/4 cup gluten free crackers-crushed
  • 1 green onion-chopped
  • sprinkle of sea salt.

Cheese Sauce:
  • 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
  • 1 cup carrots, cut into 1/2 " rounds
  • 1/4 yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 cups water
  • Earth Balance-It did not give the amount but I used 1/2 cup
  • Nutritional Yeast-Again the recipe did not give an amount, but I used 1/2 cup
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 3 Tablespoons coconut milk-I used 4 Tablespoons and I used the creamy part on top of the can.
  • I also added the following as I thought it was flat.
  • 1/2-3/4  teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon Mrs Dash South Western Chipolate Seasoning.
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.-I would make it more like 325-350 next time.
  2. Put cut cauliflower in 2 cups of boiling water, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes covered.Do  step 2 and 3  in separate kettles
  3. Put potatoes, carrot and yellow onion in a pan with 2 cups water. Simmer for 20 minutes, covered.
  4. After 20 minutes turn off heat and add Earth Balance, nutritional yeast, turmeric and salt.
  5. Stir to combine until melted.
  6. Add to the food processor and blend 1 minute scraping down sides.
  7. Add coconut milk. Continue to blend.
  8. Put 1/4 cup of cheese sauce in the bottom of a glass 8" square pan
  9. Pour cheese sauce over the top and mix.
  10. Cover with crushed crackers, and chopped green onion.
  11. Bake for 20 minutes or so.
 Tips from Verna's Test Kitchen
  1. Next time I would add 1 Tablespoon cornstarch to cheese mixture.
  2. Also I would increase the turmeric to  3/4 teaspoon. this adds the color to the cheese sauce.
  3. The underlined is my comments.
I would definitely make this again. It was very enjoyable with the additions.

Thank you Gary and Penny for the recipe.

Enjoy!!


No comments: