Monday, November 4, 2013

Cranberry, Apricots and Pecan Wild Rice Pilaf -- GF + Vegan

I found this recipe on "Oh She Glows website."
Some dear friends Laurie and Bill S. come in to give their testimony in the CHIP Classes and Bill always brings WILD RICE from Michigan. Yummy!!  What a treat as it is so expensive and so very good

Wouldn't this be a pretty recipe for Thanksgiving or Christmas!! what is nice about it you can make it the day before.

Anyway I found this recipe and decided to give it a try.

Yields-4-5 cups
Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbsp EVOO -I used coconut oil
  • 1 1/2 cups celery chopped + 1/2 cup for later
  • 1 heaping cup chopped sweet onion.
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced-I used 4 big ones
  • 1 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
  • 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
  • 1 1/2 cups water. I used the rest of the container of broth as I hate dibs and dabs in my frig. They get lost never to find them again!!!
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 3/4-1 teaspoon salt-I used about 1/2 teaspoon plus some lemon juice to enhance the salt flavor.
  • 3/4  cup sliced pecans-toasted- I used almonds as that is what I had in the freezer.
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries-I used my frozen cranberries in the freezer.
  • 1/3 cup dried apricots-chopped
  • 1/4 cup golden raisins
  • 1/2 cup fresh cranberries-thinly sliced-again I used frozen.

Directions:
  1. Toast the pecan for 7-8 minutes at 325 degrees- watch closely so they do not burn.
  2. Saute onion, and garlic in a skillet, over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
  3. Add 1 1/2 cups chopped celery and cook for another 5-7 minutes stirring often.
  4. Add wild rice, broth bay leaf and water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low and cover with a lid.
  5.  Simmer for 30 minutes.
  6. After 30 minutes uncover, stir, and continue cooking 20-30 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
  7. Remove bay leaf, and stir in dried fruit. Season to taste and stir in the fresh cranberries and 1/2 cup chopped raw celery.
  8.  When ready to serve sprinkle toasted nuts over the top.

Tips From Verna's Kitchen:
  1. It was really bland so I added some Mrs. Dashes Southwestern Chipotle Seasoning. plus more  black pepper.
  2. I wonder if some mandarin oranges would be good in this, in place of raisins or apricots or just extra for more fruit!!!
Oh yes, I also added 1 teaspoon Wyler's Sodium Free Chicken Flavor
Enjoy!!!

No comments: