Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Dehydrated Fruit

I have been dehydrating apples (above picture) pears, bananas and lots of pineapple. I have quite a few college grandkids. Several of them love dehydrated fruit, especially pineapple.
Aldi's has had pineapple on sale for 99 cents so in the last week I dehydrated almost 20 pineapples.  I also have done several grocery bags of bananas when Woodmen s has them for $1.49 for a bag. Yes lots of them are quite ripe or bruised but it is still a awesome deal.
I do pears the same way I do the apples. The bananas I slice on a angle after peeling them of course and dehydrate them also.

I use my dehydrator which has 8 layers. it is over 40 years old so I have no idea where I bought it. I am sure there are many out there that are really nice
For the apples and pears:
  •  I wash them of course.
  •  Cut off the ends and slice  very thin right through the peel, seeds and all.
  • I put them in a plastic grocery bag. Make sure all slices are separate.
  •  I them pour several Tablespoons of cinnamon and also fresh ground nutmeg over them.
  •  Shake the bag well to coat all slices..
  • Put in dehydrator or parchment lined baking sheet.
If you do not have a dehydrator, try it in the oven. Put the slices on parchment paper which is on a baking sheet. Spread single layer of fruit on the parchment paper and bake at 200 degrees, about 1 1/2 hours on each side. Turn off the oven and leave the slices in the oven to dry out further. I am not real sure on the time as I use my dehydrator. But I know the oven works also.

It is a wonderful gift for grandkids. One of my college granddaughters has a birthday this weekend. This morning I send her a box of dehydrated pineapple, bananas and apples. Plus some Pomegranete seeds covered with Dark Chocolate. This becomes Christmas presents for my college grand kids also. Most really enjoy the treat.

Enjoy!!

No comments: