Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Thai Butternut Soup

I was at my son, Dean's home on Sunday evening for supper. This is one of the  things he served. It was excellent. The soup had a bit of bite to it which I really enjoy in food..
This would be an excellent recipe to serve for Thanksgiving or Christmas. It tastes like a real comfort food, and yet healthy.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup onion-chopped
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons red curry paste-I believe he used curry powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh garlic-minced
  • 1 teaspoon fresh ginger-minced
  • 1 cup low sodium chicken broth-I would probably used low sodium vegetable broth and add some Wylers low sodium Chicken Bouillon
  • 2 teaspoons brown sugar-1 would use 1 teaspoon.
  • 2 - 12 oz pkg frozen pureed butternut squash-or fresh cooked
  • 1- 14 oz can light coconut milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons fish sauce. I don't use fish sauce as it is very high in sodium. If I were to use it I would cut it to 3/4 teaspoon.
  • 1/2 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts- chopped-optional
  • 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
  • 1 lime cut into wedges

Directions:
  1. Saute onions for 3 minutes.
  2. Add curry paste, garlic, and ginger and saute for 45 seconds, stirring constantly.
  3. Add the broth and the next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes stirring frequently.
  4. Use a submersible blender and puree until smooth.
  5. Serve with chopped cilantro and chopped roasted peanuts sprinkled on top.
  6. Squeeze lime juice over the soup.

Enjoy!!!

No comments: