Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Chemichangas

Refried Beans




I made these up tonight for supper. I have stayed away from anything with refried beans in as they usually are so very high in sodium.



I made my own refried beans and they turned out really good. Aren't they pretty.top picture with refried beans.



Refried bean recipe:



1/2 onion chopped



1 15 oz. can low sodium pinto beans rinsed and drained



1 1/2 Tablespoon tomato paste-low sodium



2 teaspoons chili powder



1 cup of vegetable broth-I didn't have any so used 1 cup of water with 2 no sodium Herb Ox Chicken Boullion



Directions:



Saute onions in a sprayed pan.



Mix all the rest of the ingredients in a food processor-puree.



Add to onions.



Cook ingredients to half the amount, on low heat about 5 minutes until thick.


Set aside.




Chemichangas:


In sprayed pan, saute 1/2 chopped onion,


2 minced clove of garlic


add:


1 can of green chilies


refried bean mixture


I used Fat Flush tortillas shells. put about 1/2 cup of mixture of one side of shell.


Topped with daiya cheese of choice-this is a vegan cheese that melts.
Saute shell in sprayed pan. When golden brown turn over and brown the other side.


Served topped with vegan sour cream


vegan guacamole


and daiya cheese. Which is a vegan cheese.


Chemichangas usually have shredded chicken or beef in them. Just not necessary. The next time I make them I would like to put some cooked veggies such as asparagus, fresh green beans or even shredded cabbage, just to tender, crisp stage and add to the mixture.




Enjoy!!!




I think I have a few words spelled wrong but my spell check is not working.














No comments: