Thursday, July 28, 2011

Green Bean Casserole

As I mentioned on an earlier post, I am having friends in next week for a birthday party. I am just starting to get a few green beans out of my garden

and would like to serve them for the party. (if I have enough)

I could not sleep last night so at 3 o'clock in the morning went on Vegan Dad's site to find a good bean recipe. If you have not been on Vegan Dad's site you need to give it a try. He has some really great recipes. Probably one of my favorite places to go to find great recipes.

I found this recipe at 3 or so this morning and could not wait to give it a try. It is absolutely scrumptious. Because my printer was not working I just jotted down the ingredients and went from there.


Ingredients:

Green beans-cook beans about 6 minutes in boiling water. Strain and drop the beans in cold water bath to stop cooking. I did not have enough beans to make this recipe so put in some broccoli that I had in my frig. It was very good with the broccoli in.

Sauce:

10 oz. of white button mushrooms-chopped

3 clove garlic-minced

I chopped mushrooms and garlic in my food processor and then sauteed them in a sprayed pan.

Add a pinch of Cayenne pepper-I used Siracha Sauce to your taste

Mix 2 Tablespoons of flour in 3/4 cup vegetable broth add to the saute vegetables and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the mixture thickens.

Add 1 1/2 teaspoons no sodium chicken bullion- this was my addition.

Add 1 Tablespoon dry Sherry

Add 3/4 cup plain soy creamer, continue cooking until mixture thickens-5-10 minutes.

Add freshly ground black pepper to taste.

Mix sauce with beans and put in a sprayed casserole container

Topping:

I doubled the topping-this is the doubled topping.

In a food processor put 3 slices high fiber dry bread-broken in small pieces

2 Tablespoon Earth Balance

Process the bread in the food processor until fine crumbs and then add the Earth Balance.

Put in a medium size container and add a large container of French Fried Onion Rings.

(I believe it was 13 oz.) Mix well and pat on top of the beans. bake at 425 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. Watch the topping so that it does not burn.


OMG this is so very excellent.

I can't wait to have more tomorrow.


Give it a try, I am sure it will become one of your favorite recipes.





1 comment:

Jean L. said...

I have LOTS of beans, yellow & green. . .this recipe is one of my favorite. Thanks for the pix, Verna. Other great websites are: www.myvegancookbook.com www.savvyvegetarian.com &
www.vegetarianlikeme.com. Enjoy!!