Friday, July 8, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies



Cancel any other recipe I may have for Chocolate Chip Cookies that I may have on my blog. These are just the best. They are just ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so very good. Would never know they are Vegan.

I made them on Wednesday and took some along for our picnic for everyone to try. Last evening after working outside all day, I went for a bike ride. As I was coming around a corner in Menasha my chain came off my bike and I lost control, fell on a cement embankment. Today my chiropractor squeezed me in so I wouldn't be hurting all weekend . I made some of these cookies for him and his family. They are Vegan but still way to dangerous for me to have them in the house.


I like to this recipe when I can have only one or two and give the rest away to some kind


person.


I found the recipe in Vegan Diner Cookbook by Julie Hasson.


I doubled the recipe as it does not make that many. This is the doubled recipe, quick and easy.


The recipe called for white flour, I used WW Pastry flour for half of the flour. Make sure that it is pastry flour as it is lighter than WW Flour.


Ingredients


  • 1 cup WW Pastry Flour

  • 1 cup unbleached white flour-I used Bob's Red Mill Flour


  • 2 teaspoons baking powder-please make sure it does not have alumimun in it.


  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

  • Dash of Himalayan salt

  • 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar-I used tubinado brown sugar-I went easy on the amount

  • 6 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce-I used my home made sauce. Recipe called for canola oil

  • 4 Tablespoons Vanilla soy milk or and other non-dairy milk


  • 2 Tablespoons Flax seed- make sure it is ground

  • 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract-no imitation please

  • 1 1/2 cups non dairy chocolate chips-I use Dream Chips-Picture on top. They taste great and also melt nicely

  • 1 1/2 cups nuts, chopped-I used pecans as that is what I had in the freezer

Directions:


  1. Turn oven to 350 degrees.

  2. When measuring flour, spoon the flour in the desire container, rather than just scoopng out the flour. Helps to keep cookies lighter.

  3. Mix flour, baking power, baking soda, flax seed and salt in a large mixing bowl-whisk together

  4. In another glass bowl mix together brown sugar, applesauce, soy milk, vanilla-mix well with a hand mixer.


  5. Mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients. Use a spatula or spoon to do this. Do not over mix as cookies will get tough.

  6. Add nuts and chips.

  7. Put parchment paper on a cookie sheet and be sure to spray parchment paper, lightly or you will not get the cookies off the parchment paper.

  8. Use a small scooper dooper like in the picture. You want to keep the cookies small.

  9. Bake 12 minutes. Watch closely.

  10. Cool on rack.

Freeze quickly so you don't eat them all up.


Comments from Verna's Test Kitchen:


  1. If you have not tried parchment paper, please do as it will make clean up easier. Also your not having contact with the metal pans. I got rid of all my aluminum pans as it is believed that aluminum causes Dementia and Alzheimer's Disease.

  2. When measuring flour, use a spoon to fill your container to the amount desired. Keeps cookies a little lighter.

  3. The recipe called for white flour, by using WW Pastry Flour it becomes healthier. I would like to increase the pastry flour but have to be careful as the cookies may get too heavy.

  4. Also next time I would like to cut back on the brown sugar.


Don't enjoy too much!!!!. Just teasing!!!!















No comments: