Saturday, April 30, 2011

Dried Fruit and Nut Health Bars

You won't be getting a picture of the Health Bars. (at least not at this time) For what ever reason my picture will not publish.It is a call to my daughter for her computer skills, but I am not sure where she is. Hopefully next week we will have a picture. Also spell check is not working!!!Help!!!

In the meantime!!!! My friend Diane gave me this recipe. It came from Martha Stewert Living Magazine. These bars are really very good, even though I substituted lots of the ingredients. Will explain as I go.

Ingredients:
1 cup (9 oz.) pitted dates
1 1/2 cups rolled oats, finely ground in food processor
1 cup pecans-1/2 cup finely ground, 1/2 cup coarsely chopped
1 cup Macadamia Nuts, 1/2 cup finely ground 1/2 cup coarsely chopped
1/3 cup dried papaya, chopped in 1/2 " pieces-Diane found these at the Greenville Bulk Store
1/3 cup dried cherries coarsely chopped
1/3 cup dried blueberries
2 Tablespoon Oat Bran
3 Tablespoon ground flaxseed
2 Tablespoon wheat germ
1/2 teaspoon salt-I didn't use
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 Tablespoon brown rice syrup

Directions;
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place dates in a small saucepan and cover with water, bring to a simmer and drain. Puree in food processor until smooth.
Mix all ingredients together.
Pat in a sprayed 8 by 8 in glass pan. Press mixture well into the pan.
Bake until firm, which will be about 25 minutes. Cut into bars.

Comments from Verna's Test Kitchen:
I didn't have papaya's or dried blueberries. Also didn't want to pay the price that the stores are asking. So used dried cranberries and cherries, which I had on hand. I also added 1/3 cup coconut.
Also I didn't have the Macadamia Nuts so used all pecans. Didn't have the oat bran so just eliminated it. They where still very good.
I did sprinkle some Dream Carob Chips over the top after they where baked. I put them back in the oven until melted and spread with a knife.
By the way everything that needed to be chopped was done in the food processor before I did the dates so I didn't have to wash the food processor again.

I used a 11 by 7" pan as the bars would have been much thicker than I wanted. I would rather have them thinner. Don't feel so guilty when I eat one--or two!!!!

Yummy yummy.

No comments: