Thursday, June 23, 2011

Potato's Au Gratin



Doesn't this dish look naughty!!!!! Well it is not.

I found the recipe on My Vegan Cookbook Web Site. For once I did not change anything in the recipe, except it suggested making the dish up with no cooking or sauteing, but just assembling and microwaving.

I chose to saute the veggies and then bake in the oven after assembling. I served this with my "meatloaf" (last posting) It was a really nice combination with fresh greens from the garden. Yes in spite of all the rain and cool weather I have spinach and radishes in my garden. Because I put up the 6 ft.. fence around my garden, I actually am getting veggies and not feeding all those cute wild critters. I really enjoyed this recipe. Yum yum!!


Ingredients:


  • 4 scrubbed and peeled medium potato-cut into 1/8" slices

  • 1 red bell pepper-cut into small pieces

  • 1 medium onion-cut into 1/8 " slices

  • 2 clove garlic minced- I put more in, maybe 3-4

  • 1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast-Remember that gives it a cheesy flavor


  • 1 tablespoon olive oil-I did not use.

  • 1 Tablespoon Earth Balance Butter

  • 1 1/2 cup plain rice milk

  • 2 tablespoon all purpose flour-I used W W Pastry Flour

  • 1 Tablespoon corn starch

  • 1 teaspoon paprika

  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder

  • 1 teaspoon seasoned Salt-I used Braggs Sprinkles

  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

  • i teaspoon dried parsley-I used my frozen parsley cubes, thawed and drained


Directions:


  1. Saute potatoes in a sprayed dutch oven.

  2. After a few minutes I added red pepper, onions, and garlic and continue sauting. About 6-7 minutes.

  3. Put in a sprayed 8" square glass pan.

  4. Mix all the rest of the ingredients (except parsley) in medium sized bowl.

  5. Use immersions blender. Blend till smooth. (If you don't have one use the blender.)

  6. Add parsley flakes and mix.

  7. Pour over the potatoes.

  8. Bake in 375 degree oven uncovered about 50-60 minutes.

  9. Cover with tin foil tent and bake 10 minutes longer.

  10. Leave sit 5 minutes before serving.


Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that looks yummy.