Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Verna's Quinoa Pudding

This is really very tasty, especially with fresh strawberries on top.
You know quinoa is one of the healthiest grains that you can eat.

Ingredients:




  • 1 cup quinoa


  • 2 cups water


  • 2 cups soy creamer


  • 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup-I would use less next time.


  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch


  • 2 bananas sliced


  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract


  • 1/2 cup raisins


  • dash nutmeg


  • almonds chopped-optional

Directions:




  1. In a medium size kettle, bring water to boil.


  2. Add quinoa and simmer until all water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.


  3. Add soy creamer, maple syrup, cornstarch, bananas and raisins.


  4. Stir frequently, and continue to cook on low heat about 8 minutes


  5. Remove from heat, add almond extract, dash nutmeg and nuts.


I really enjoyed this. Felt it was a little to sweet so I would cut back on the maple syrup next time. The recipe did not call for nuts but felt a little crunchy would be good in this recipe.



It was especially good topped with fresh strawberries, which I sweetened with a little Agave Nectar.


I just made this for the second time and doubled the recipe as I will have company tomorrow. I added 1-15 oz can crushed pineapple drained and 1 plus teaspoon coconut flavoring. Also some orange zest. I just made the pudding and after it sets sometimes it thickens too much. If this should happen I will add orange concentrate to give a tropical flair. Next time I am going to add less water and replace with orange concentrate, then cut back on maple syrup. Doesn't that sound good???


I felt it was better the second day. Gave a chance for the flavors to "marry".



Enjoy!!





No comments: