Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Vegan Lentil Loaf

Made three loafs and put them on Parchment paper to bake.

After the Lentil Loaf is cooled, I sliced them in serving pieces to freeze overnight. In the morning I will put two pieces in a freezer bag and label them. I will them put all of the small bags that have slices in and put in a large freezer bag. It makes it really nice if I want to take out one bag or several because of unexpected company.

A close up of the Lentil Loaf. Doesn't it look tasty!!!!

Over the weekend it was raining, so I decided to try this recipe. Yesterday it was raining all day again, and I could not do yard work. I had a half of a carton of tofu in the fridge left over from Sunday's loaf so decided to use it up. If you are going to make this recipe, consider doubling it
as it freezes well. All the chopping was done in my food processor. How did I live without a food processor before CHIP. It makes everything go so much faster.


Oh by the way I got this recipe from Vegan Dad's web site. If you have not gone there, check it out as he has some really great recipes. I changed a few ingredients in this recipe to make it more CHIP friendly.



Ingredients:


Tomato Topping Mixture



  • 1-6 oz. can tomato paste-check the sodium as it varies a lot from brand to brand


  • 1/4 teaspoon Stevia-the recipe called for sugar


  • 1/2 Tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar-I used Braggs with the mother in it.


  • 1/2 Tablespoon onion powder


  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder


  • Mix well in a bowl-coat the top of the loaf
    Ingredients for lentil loaf;


  • 1 cup old fashioned oats pulsed about 5 times in a food processor


  • 1/2 flock extra firm tofu- I had only soft in the frig and used that. Mix with fork or 2 twirls in the food processor-do not over mix.


  • 1 cup chopped onion


  • 1/2 cup chopped green pepper


  • 1/2 cup chopped red peppers


  • 2 jalapeno peppers-seeded and vained, chopped very fine, optional- Verna's addition


  • 1 Tablespoon Tomato Topping Mixture-recipe above


  • 3 Tablespoons plain yellow cornmeal


  • 3/4 cup cooked drained lentils. I cooked the entire bag-froze up 1 1/2 cups in a freezer bag for future use- (makes two loafes)


  • 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar


  • 3/4 Tablespoon Liquid Aminoes-recipe called for 1 tablespoon soy sauce


  • 1/4 teaspoon thyme


  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin


  • 1 teaspoon chili powder 1 teaspoon parsley-I used my frozen parsley cubes


  • 1/4 teaspoon salt-recipe called for 1/2 teaspoon


  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder


  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder


  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard-recipe called for 1/4 teaspoon


  • 2 packets of Herb-Ox No Sodium Beef flavoring-Verna's addition

  • 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast Flakes-Verna's addition

Directions:


  1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.


  2. Saute onions in a sprayed pan for a few minutes.


  3. Add chopped peppers, continue sauteing.


  4. As the veggies where sauteing I made up the Tomato Topping Mixture.


  5. Remove sauteed veggies from heat.


  6. Add tofu to the veggie mix and all the rest of the ingredients.


  7. Mix well with hands.


  8. Put parchment paper on a sided baking sheet.


  9. Form loafs dividing up mixture.


  10. Spread Tomato Topping Mixture over and around the loaf


  11. Bake at 375 degrees about 1/2 hour.

The origional recipe called for sugar in the loaf-I chose not to use it, as it was sweet enough.



Enjoy!!


I made a Potato Gratin to go with this that was excellent. I will post later.










No comments: