Monday, October 15, 2012

Chick Cheez

A couple of years ago I was to give my testimony in Penneslvania..My friend Jean Langenhuzin flew out with me to meet up with Dr. Hans Diehl. While there we heard many great speakers. Jo Stepanick was there and wrote the book, The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook.
The cookbook mentions that this tangy soy-free cheese is out of this world. Use it as a spread for bread, or crackers, a dip for veggies, or a topping for grains, potatoes or pizza. Stir it into sauces, gravies, soups, or casseroles, whenever you want to add a spark of sharp cheddery flavor.

That sounded like the perfect recipe so after arriving home, I tried a few of the recipes in the book and I
found them quite salty, so put he book away not to be used again....
Yesterday I decided to revisit the cookbook again and try yet another recipe.

I felt the above recipe had a lot to offer. After sitting in the frig for a few hours I found it to be very enjoyable. Next time I would cut the salt in half though...

In the picture of to the left, I put the Chick Cheez on a warmed Wasa Cracker, shaved onions on top of the cheez and 2 slices of tomato.  I found that very enjoyable

Ingredients:
  • 1- 15 oz. can chickpeas-rinsed and drained.
  • 3 tablespoons Nutritional Yeast Flakes
  • 2 tablespoons sesame thaini or raw cashew butter
  • 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons light chickpea miso
  • 1-2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt. Next time I am adding1/4 teaspoon. You can always add more at the end if need to.
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika-this gives it the cheese color
  • 1/4 teaspon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard.
Directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor.
  2. Blend until very creamy, scraping down the sides of the food processor as necessary.
  3. Chill several hours or overnight to blend flavors.
  4. Keeps 5-7 days in the refrigerator.

I hope to freeze some of this recipe to see how that works. I will let you know.

Note: The next day I added a little water to the cheez and a touch of horseradish sauce. Really liked it after that.

I would really appreciate your comments on this recipe.

Enjoy!!!



No comments: