Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Verna's Vegan Rueben Sandwich

I have been trying to make Reuben sandwiches forever and never came up with a recipe that I liked. In fact I had a special friend in for rueben sandwiches which where suppose to go in the crockpot over night. It was made with tofu, and the recipe said it was the best. When my friend came I ended up making a salad as the tofu Reuben was yuk!~ Before CHIP when I was running my flowershop I used to go to Fryer Tucks for Reuben's. They where the best.
I don't know how these rate with Fryer Tucks, because it has been so long since I have been there, but I really enjoyed these. I ended up taking the ingredients out of some of the recipes and added my own concoction.

Ingredients:
  • 1 pkg.-6 oz. baby portables mushrooms-sliced-I used more like 10 oz.
  • 1 pkg fresh baby spinach-optional-although I liked it in. I did with and also without. Good both ways.
  • 2 Tablespoons Earth Balance Butter
  • Black Rye Bread or bread of your choice
  • Swiss cheese of your choice
  • 1 cup low-sodium sauerkraut -rinsed and squeezed dry
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 2-3 drops liquid smoke-be caeful not to get to much.

Sauce:
  • 1 cup Grapeseed Veganaise-with purple cap
  • 2-3 Tablespoons ketchup-Please use No  High Fructose Corn Syrup Ketchup.
  • 2-3 Tablespoons low-sodium pickle relish- drained. I used my own that I made Mt. Olive Sweet Pickle Relish has 90 mil. of sodium which is one of the lower sodium
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • Mix well.

Directions:
  1. Saute sliced mushrooms with seasonings until lightly browned. Remove mushrooms from pan and set aside.
  2. In the same pan saute the spinach until wilted. Remove from the heat and set aside in another bowl.
  3. Wipe pan with paper toweling. Butter bread lightly with Earth Balance.
  4. Put in clean pan, butter side down.
  5. Top with mushrooms. spinach ,sauerkraut, and cheese. top with butter bread that has the sauce on the bottom side of the bread
  6. Cover. When nicely browned, flipped sandwich over.

I think you will love this. Would love your comments.

Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

Jean L. said...

YEY. . .a Reuben!!!
Can use 2 Tempeh strips (any flavor), saute'ed. Also. . toast the bread first to avoid the x-tra calories from the butter & then put into non-stick pan until cheese melts. YUM. . .YUM!! And
no messy, buttery fingers.
Thanks Verna!!

Verna V said...

I know Jean your so clever and such a great cook, but I did not want to use Temph Strips. Sorry. thanks my friend for the posting.