Saturday, October 6, 2012

Cinnamon-Soaked Wheat Berry Salad

I found this recipe in my November Vegetarian Times. If you love chewy, you will love this recipe. The first time I made it I did not cook the wheat brries. or the carrots. I  made it  again today as I have been invited tommorrow evening to my son's family for supper and planned on taking it along. I loved it uncooked, but thought it may be to chewy for the grandkids so I did cook the wheat brries about 1/2 hour, but did not cook the carrots. I think you will really enjoy this recipe. I found it to be really yummy!!!!!

Serves 6

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup wheat berries
  • 1 /2 inch cinnamon stick
  • 1/4 tsp.sea salt-I did not use
  • 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced in 1/4" pieces-I did not peel the carrots as they came out of my garden-(no pesticides) and I chopped them in my food processor. Of course I scrubbed them clean.
  • 1 heaping cup dried apricots-diced-I used my food processor.
  • 1/2 cup toasted slivred almonds
  • 6 Tbs. fresh cilantro-chopped-I used more, as I love cilantro.
Dressing:
  • 3 Tbs.apple cider vinegar
  • 3 Tbs.olive oil-I used 1 Tabelspoon oil and 2 Tabelspoons water
  • 1 Tbs.lemon juice
  • 1 heaping tsp.Dijon mutard
  • 1 tsp. pure maple syrup-I ued 2 teaspoons.
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
Directions:
  1. Soak wheat berries in 3 cups of water with the cinnamon stick, for 8 hours or overnight.
  2. Bring wheat berries with cinnamon stick, and soaking water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour, covered. -The first time I made this recipe I did not cook the wheat berries. The second time I cooked them for 1/2 hour.-They where more chewy the first time, which I liked.
  3. Drain off remaining liquid, remove cinnamon stick and set aside to cool.
  4. Cook carrots for 2 minutes, plunge in ice water to stop cooking. Drain.-I did not cook the carrots.
  5. Toss carrots with wheat berries, apricots, almonds and cilantro.
  6. Blend dressing ingredients in blender until creamy. I use a fork and stirred until creamy.
  7. Season with pepper if desired.
  8. Refrigrate at least 1 hour to allow flavors to marry.
  9. Remove from frig. 30 minutes before serving.
Enjoy!!!!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started to make this last night by soaking the wheat berries. By this morning they were already "popped". They don't look in tact like the VT picture or yours. What did I do wrong? I think this means they will really suck up the dressing and might be even more mushy.

Verna V said...

I soaked my beries overnight also. The first time I made this, I did not cook them at all as I liked the crunchyness of it.
I hope your recipe turned out well.

Vrna