Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Classic Waldorf Salad

This weekend I did flowers for a wedding. It is always so much fun to do that. After I came home from servicing the wedding, it was raining so I cooked up a storm.
I love  teaching CHIP with Jennifer, but when I am not doing that I love doing flowers for weddings, decorating homes or cooking. Not necessarily in that order. Oh yes I enjoy lots of other things also.

This recipe was in my April/May Vegetarian Magazine.
Did you know that the Waldorf Salad was created in the 1890s at the Waldorf Hotel in New York City. The Waldorf Salad was once considered to be-all and end-all of culinary circles. If you served this salad you where really somebody.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup broken walnut pieces-toasted
2 cups diced celery
3 cups diced red apple with peel on
1 cup halved grapes-I used more
Greens for garnish
Dressing:
  • 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise-go easy
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon honey- I used a whisker more
  • I Tablespoon chopped parsley-I did not use.
  • But I did add black pepper to taste
  • Also
  • 2-3 Tablespoons of fresh orange juice
Directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients.
  2. Pour dressing over the top and mix well.
  3. Refrigerator several hours to marinate the flavors.
  4. Put greens on a platter and salad on top.
Enjoy!!!.

No comments: