Friday, February 26, 2010

Carmel Corn

Well last night was the last night for this session of the CHIP class. It is always so sad to see the classes come to and end as I know I may never see some of the people again. They are all so very special too me.
We ended the class with a wonderful pot luck. Couldn't believe all the great, scrumptious, healthy food.

I wanted to bring some thing different to the pot luck.My grand daughter, Deanna gave me her recipe for Carmel corn. Thanks Deanna it was wonderful. Of course I had to put my own twist on it. The Carmel corn was really yummy.

Carmel Corn

1/2 cup peanut butter -I pour all of the oil off of the peanut butter and replace it with water.)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 Tablespoon molasses
1/2 cup brown Organic Sucanat ( I start out with 1 cup, decreased the next patch to 3/4 cup Sucanat. This time I did 1/2 and it was fine. Next time I will decrease to 1/4 cup to see what happens. I would like to eliminate all Sucanat. Will let you know. (March 4th - I made it with 1/4 cup and it was fine)

1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla-not imitation
1 teaspoon almond extract

4 quarts popped pop corn - put in large container
about 1 cup of roasted peanuts-( I bought raw peanuts and roasted them.)

Directions:
1-In small sauce pan, combine peanut butter, maple syrup, molasses, sugar.
2-Bring to a simmer, keep stirring until everything is dissolved.
Bring to a gentle boil and boil about 5 minutes.
3-Remove pan from heat, add baking soda and stir well. Add vanilla, almond extract.
4-Stir, until mixed.
5-Pour over pop corn and roasted peanuts. Stir well.
6- Spread in 2 cookie sheets.

Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour. I stirred the mixture about every 15 minutes.

Store in air tight container.

This was soooooo very good.

No comments: