Friday, February 5, 2010

Coleslaw with Fruit

Recipe:

Why is it in winter we think we have to have everything hot, and in summer we have the cool, crisp foods? Well of course the obvious is their, but I was in the mood for some coleslaw. Plus I had some cabbage in my refrigerator that needed to be used up. Also I still had carrots in my refrigerator that where from my garden. Time to do something with these vegetables before they spoil. Hate throwing food away. So this is what I made.

Coleslaw with Fruit

1 cup red cabbage-shredded
1 cup green cabbage-shredded
1 cup carrots-grated
1/2-3/4 cups celery. I love celery so I put the higher amount in.
2-1/2 cups apples-chopped in bite size pieces. Use a sweeter apple, not Granny Smith. Unless you like tart.
1 cup red grapes-cut in half
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup nuts-chopped-I used walnuts.

Toss together above.

Dressing:

1/2 cup low sodium Hellman's Mayonnaise-You could use vegan mayonnaise if you prefer.
3 Tablespoons frozen Apple Juice Concentrate-not diluted
1 teaspoon sweetener of choice-Stevia-Agave Nectar
2-3 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar. I use the Bragg's Vinegar with the mother in it.
1/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
pepper to taste.

Mix dressing well.
Pour over vegetables.
Refrigerate overnight.

I have a hard time writing down exact amounts as I usually just guess.

Hope you enjoy this recipe. I think it is great.






Exercise:





I started February off with a bang and landed in bed. This is the month I was really going to turn my life around and get back to total commitment too proper eating and exercise. I went a little over board with the exercise, hurt my back and ended up in bed for a few days. Bed is not my favorite place to be, when their is just so much I would like to do.


Had class last night. Ended up taking 2 extra strength Tylenol tablets, to help dull the pain.


My chiropractor said I had to take it easy to heal. That is just soooooo difficult for me. But I will listen to him soI recover very soon.


When will I learn?? Is it called moderation?? What is that???

No comments: