Monday, March 14, 2011

Spanish Romesco Sauce


This is so very good, and so very versatile!!!!
I put it on pizza crust, over vegetables and spread on a piece of toast. Use also on pasta.
This recipe will be thick, like pesto.
-
How do you like my cool plate?? Almost looks edible.
-
I use a Fat Flush Tortilla shell for my pizza crust. I sprayed it lightly on both sides, put in my small oven for a few minutes, until golden brown. I then added the sauce to heat for a few minutes.
After taking it out of the oven I put on small pieces of raw broccoli, chopped green onions and chopped tomato. Shaved carrots and sprouts on top would be good also. How about some sliced black olives?
-
I remember going to Weight Watchers many moons ago. We would take a slice of high fiber bread, roll it out with the rolling pin. This would be our crust for our pizza. I am going to give that a try as so many pizza crusts are really high in sodium.
-

Ingredients:
  • 1 " piece of crusty bread torn into pieces
  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds
  • 5-7 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1-15 oz. can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
  • 1-cup roasted red peppers. I used the ones out of my freezer.
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil torn into pieces. (optional)
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
  • 3 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • Freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • Touch of Siracha Chili Sauce-(optional)
  • -

Directions:

  1. Over medium high heat saute the bread and almonds in a sprayed pan. (Watch carefully so it does not burn. Stir constantly. You could use just a little oil if preferred.
  2. Add garlic, continue sauteing 3-4 minutes
  3. Place in food processor with all the rest of the ingredients. Process until very smooth.
  4. Spread in glass 13 by 9" cake pan, or baking sheet with sides.
  5. Bake 350 in oven for about 20 minutes.
  6. Store in refrigerator, for several days.
  7. Freezes well.

Enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Were did you find the plate? tell us all about your plate finding adventure!