Friday, March 11, 2011

Verna's Black Bean Patties with Mango Salsa

I made the Mango Salsa first. You could make it a day or two before needed.
Isn't that pretty with all the different colors!! and oh so very good for you
.
Ingredients:
  • I used 6 Chanpange Mangoes-If I was using other mangoes I probably would use 3 mangoes.
  • 1- large Sweet Red Bell Pepper chopped
    I bunch green onions with some of the greens-chopped fine
  • 3 japepeno peppers-chopped fine
  • 1/4 to 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
  • Juice of 3 limes
  • Agave Nectar to taste
  • A touch of chopped garlic-optional

Directions:
  1. Mix all ingredients together.
  2. Refrigerate.

This is an excellent Mango Salsa Recipe.

When I made my Black Bean Burgers, I used my salsa as a guideline, on the ingredients to use.

I made it up as I went. I thought they turned out very tasty.

Verna's Black Bean Burgers:

In a Food Processor blend :

  • 1 small onion -quartered
  • 1-15oz can black beans-rinsed and drained
  • 3-4 garlic cloves-peeled and halved
  • Blend to consistency desired. You want everything to be in small pieces..
  • Put in a large bowl

Continue with food processor to blend:

  • 1 small red sweet pepper - cut into pieces
  • 2-3 jalapeno peppers
  • 4- green onions with some of the greens cut into 2" pieces.
  • Blend very well.
  • I did these veggies separate as I wanted them blended finer than above mixture.
  • Add to mixture in bowl.
  • To mixture add 3 pkg's No Sodium Herb Ox Beef Seasonings.
  • 1 teaspoon-Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasonings-optional.
  • Healthy dose of freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • About 1/4 cup cilantro
  • 1 cup Kikkoman Panko Crumbs. I used this brand as it had 40 Milligrams of sodium.
  • Oh yes I almost forgot. I found 2 large portabella mushroom caps in the frig that needed to be used.
  • After cleaning them, breaking in smaller pieces, I put them in the food processor then added to mixture.
  1. Form into small patties ( I got 10 patties out of this recipe)
  2. Pack, patties tight.
  3. Put Panko Crumbs on a pie plate. Pat patties into the crumbs.
  4. Fry in a sprayed, hot skillet until golden brown.
  5. Gently flip and do the same on other side.
  6. Serve hot on bun, or plate with salsa on top.

The extra patties froze up very nice.

Enjoy!!

No comments: