Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Basil Avocado Pesto

I was working in my garden this morning and noticed I had a entire row of basil that needed to be cut.

 Two weeks ago when I cut it after washing it and removing from the stems, I put it in a blender with just enough water to pulverize. I then put the basil in ice cube trays and froze for winter use. After the basil was frozen I removed the cubes and but in a freezer bag marked the bag and put back in the freezer. I do this with parsley also.

But what do I do with all the basil I cut this morning?
When I came back in the house and after washing the basil, I noticed I had some avocado's in the frig that needed to be used. So I decided to make Basil Avocado Pesto with it. The avocado's would make the pesto very creamy so cheese is not needed.
I proceded to make the pesto the  standard way but added the avocados. I put the finished product in my empty hummus jars, marked them and  froze them. I will use this in the winter for linguine, sandwiches or whatever I choose do do with it.

I hate letting food go to waste especially basil as it is so expensive to buy.
Next I have to figure out something for my cilantro which is growing like weeds.

Ingredients for Basil  Avocado Pesto:
Put all ingredients in a food processor.

2 1/2 cups of fresh, cleaned DE-stemmed basil--packed tight
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 avocados pitted and peeled
4-5 roasted clove of garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1-2 teaspoons pepper
Touch salt.
Blend mixture really well scraping down the sides of container.
Freeze or what ever your heart desires

Enjoy!!

No comments: