Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Watermellon Salsa

I found this recipe in the June Issue of Food Network Magazine.

I had some special friends in for lunch today and this was a big hit. Give it a try, I think you will really enjoy it. It is very refreshing.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons lime zest (from about 1 lime)
  • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from about 3 limes)
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar-I used agave nectar
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 cups seeded and finely cubed watermellon
  • 1 cucumber,peeled,seeded nad diced--If it is a fresh cucumber out of my garden I do not peel.
  • 1 ripe mango, peeled and diced-I used 2 mangoes
  • 1 jalepeno pepper, seeded and minced very fine
  • 1 small red onion,finely chopped-go easy on the onion
  • 8 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt-I did not use
  • Tortilla or pita chips for serving

Directions:
  1. Stir together the first 4 ingredients in a bowl. Mix well.
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients.
  3. Refrigrate to marinate flavors.
  4. I did make the salsa the night before, but added the fresh basil  a few hours before serving.
  5. Serve with chips or crackers of choice.
  6. Oh yes I did drain the salsa before serving as it got very watery. Use the drained juice to drink or in a smoothie.
Enjoy!!

No comments: