Friday, July 19, 2013

Verna's Kale, Pickled Green Bean Recipe

My garden is full of kale and I needed to come up with some new recipes. I froze a a lot of kale yesterday.
This is my new favorite kale recipe.
Jean you would absolutely love this recipe.
A friend gave me a kale recipe and I did not have most of the ingredients in the house, so I made my own recipe.  This is so very tasty, also quick and easy to make
Another friend was here for lunch and she also loved it..
Ingredients:
  • 1 large onion, sliced-keep the pieces thin and somewhat long.
  • 1 pkg fresh sliced button mushrooms
  • 1 pint jar of pickled beans-these are beans that I canned last year.-you can buy them in the grocery store also, try to get low-sodium.
  • Handful cherry tomatoes-I had some in my garden and they just look so pretty in this recipe
  • A little bit of juice from the pickled beans
  • One large kale plant-greens remove from the stem, wash and dried. Greens broken into bite size pieces.
  • A handful of cheese of choice
  • Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. Saute onion until translucent,
  2. Add nushrooms and cherry tomatoes, continue to saute, just until mushrooms are also translucent-2-3 minutes, and tomatoes will start collapsing.
  3. Add drained green beans, that have been cut into bite size pieces.
  4. Add  a small amount of bean liquid and pepper to taste. Continue sauting just a few minutes.
  5. The last minute add kale,  Mix well, you do not want to cook it, just wilt it.
  6. Sprinkle with cheese, cover so the cheese melts.
  7. Serve immediately on a plate, with melted cheese on the top.
Recipe for Crisp Dilled Green Beans:
This bean recipe came from my bike riding friend Mary Hansen

Brine:
  • 2 cups water-do not use tap water
  • 2 cups vinegar with 5% acidity
  • 1/4 cup canning salt-I used less

To each steralized jar add:
  1. 2 heads fresh dill
  2. 1 large clove of garlic
  3. 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  4. Fill hot steralized jar wth cleaned stemmed green beans
  5. Remove air pockets with canning strip-long hard clear plastic strip.
  6. Wipe jar rim with clean cloth.
  7. Put on steralized lid. Tighten the ring.
  8. Cover with cloth to keep off any drafts.
  9. Let sit for one day or overnight. Remove ring, date and put on shelves.
.

  1. These beans are great on sandwiches with other vegetables.
  2. On tortilla shells with tomato and other veggies
  3. . Eaten just as is
  4. Used in casseroles and salads..



Enjoy!!!

No comments: