Saturday, July 27, 2013

Green Bean Casserole




I had these green beans in the frig. that I had picked out of my garden. There where not enough to can so I decided to do a green bean casserole. It was so easy as the  soup was basically the flavoring.

I sauteed 1 onion that I chopped in the food processor.
Added some leftover roasted garlic to the pan..
I cleaned and blanched the green beans just for a minute or two. Drained them and added to the onion mixture. I wanted them crisp not soft and icky in the finished casserole.
Mix well.
Add soup mixture which follows:
Put in sprayed casserole dish.
I had a few WW buns in the freezer which I put in my food processor, and processed them to coarse crumbs.
I put these on top of the beans with a couple pats of vegan butter.






A very special friend from CHIP asked If I could convert a can of Cream of Mushroom Soup into something healthy.
This is what I came up with this morning. It really tastes great, but remember cream of mushroom soup tastes great because of all the salt in it. I did add 1 teaspoon salt in this recipe, but would prefer to cut back to 1/2 teaspoon and see how much that changes the flavor.
This recipe would not have all the chemicals or salt of the canned soup in the store and hopefully would taste a lot better.
Verna's version of Cream of Mushroom Soup.

Ingredients:
  1 teaspoons vegan butter plus 2 teaspoons coconut oil
1 onion-chopped
1 8 oz. pkg. of sliced mushrooms
1 roasted garlic or 1/4 teaspoon powder-go easy on the powder
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon salt-go easy
1-1 1/2 cup vegetable broth-low sodium
2 teaspoons Wylers no sodium Chicken Bullion
1/2-1 cup sour cream of choice.
Directions:
Saute onion in heated oil until translucent.
Add sliced mushrooms, continue to saute for a few minutes-2-3.
Add all seasonings.
Add broth 1/2 cup at a time. Cook for a few minutes to thicken. Add liquid as needed
Add Chicken Bullion. Stir well.
If it is too runny you can thicken it with a couple Tablespoons flour. I did not use any.
Add sour cream just before serving.

Comments from Verna:

The reason for the vegan butter plus the coconut oil is for a richer flavor.
Also the roasted garlic would give so much more flavor than the powder.
You could do a soy or rice milk if you like. The sour cream makes it thicker and richer.
I would like to try just a few drops of liquid smoke the next time I make it.-Go easy as it can be wicked if you use too much.

I so hope you enjoy this recipe!!

If you use lots of cream of mushroom soup, I would try doubling the recipe, minus sour cream and freeze it in smaller portions. After thawing and warming the soup I would then add the sour cream.


Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.

OMG these were just so very tasty.

Give this recipe a try. I believe you will love it.

No comments: