Sunday, July 28, 2013

Curried Lentil Cashew Burgers


I found this recipe on the Live Well Network, and decide to make it after church today.
As you can see it actually looks like a hamburger.  I do not have any greens on my burger as I do not want to go in my garden to get greens in the rain.
 I have a wee little bun under the tomato and burger. It turned out to be very tasty.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted cashews or walnuts
2 tablespoons coconut oil-optional
4 cups sliced portabella mushrooms-chopped
1 onion chopped
1 clove garlic-minced-I used 3 cloves
1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper-I used no salt and increased the pepper
about 1 full cup cooked and drained lentils-I used red lentils.
1 tablespoon curry PASTE-this has a tendency to be very salty so I used 2 teaspoons of paste.
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs-I used Panko Bread Crumbs-low sodium.
1 teaspoon dried coriander-go easy, I used a whisker less.

Verna added 1 Tablespoon dried parsley.

Directions:
Toast cashews in a dry skillet over medium low heat until fragrant. Transfer to food processor and process until somewhat fine crumbs.
Saute onion and garlic until translucent. 3-5 minutes.
Add chopped portabella mushrooms and continue sauteing about 5 minutes.
Remove from heat.
Put lentils and curry paste in food processor to blend.-Just a few pulses. add to mushroom mixture.
Stir in processed cashews, bread crumbs and coriander to mushroom mixture..
Mix well. The recipe did not call for this, but I did refrigerate the mixture for about 45 minutes. By doing this the patties just hold together better.
The recipe called for shaping the mixture into 4" patties, 1" thick. I made them much smaller to fit on a smaller bun. Also when they get too big, they don't always hold together very well.
In a small amount of coconut oil fry patties until crispy and nice and brown. About 4 minutes on each side for the small patties and 8 minutes on each side for the larger patties.
Serve on bun with tomato, greens of choice and some onion.

I am in the process of freezing all but one patty which I had for lunch.

Give these a try, I think you will really enjoy them.


No comments: