Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Broccoli Calzones

I used to make calzones in my unhealthy days, and they were always a favorite.
This recipe is a Verna recipe, so change amounts if you wish.

These are really good.

Broccoli Calzones:

In a sprayed pan, Saute:
1 medium onion -chopped
4-5 garlic cloves- minced fine

Add:
Red Pepper Flakes-to taste
2 10 oz. pkg. chopped broccoli
Continue sauteing a few more minutes.

Add:
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1 teaspoon basil
pinch of nutmeg
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese of choice
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese of choice
(I used Lisanatti Premium Soy-Station shredded cheese,Gluten free No MSG No Cholesterol
Found it in the Natural Food Aisle at Festival Foods on Northland Ave. in the refrigerator case.)
Couple scoops Tofutti-non-dairy-cream cheese
Mix well:

I had a Pillsbury Pizza Dough in my freezer forever. Decided to give it a try for the crust. It was a little higher in sodium then I preferred, but it sure tasted wonderful.
I rolled out the dough, (on chopping block that was sprinkled with corn meal) as thin as I could, into 6 by 8" pieces. I put 1/2 cup of filling on the dough, folded over the dough, crimped edges with a fork, cut off the excess dough.
Continue doing this until all dough is used up.I put the finished calazone's on Parchment paper, on a sheet with sides, that was sprinkled with corn meal.

Bake 400 degrees, until golden brown on the bottom. 20-30 minutes. Watch closely as the crust could burn very easily.

I didn't bake mine totally, so not real sure on above time.
I doubled the recipe, Made them a little smaller than above. I partially baked them, about 10 or so minutes, Removed from oven as soon as I saw a little golden brown on them. After they were cooled down, I froze them for future use.
When I wanted a calazone, I removed from freezer,, thawed in Microwave for 3 minutes and baked immediately in the oven until they were totally golden brown.


To make your own crust:

2 envelopes dry yeast
2 cups warm water
Mix-let stand 20 minutes

add:
1/3 cup oil-I would do less
1/2 cup cornmeal
5 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill unbleached white flour
let rise until doubled.
Knead lightly
roll out- continue as above

I tried using half WW flour and it was way to heavy. Next time I will do all white flour.


I decided these needed a sauce for on top.

Sauce:
3/4 cup mayonnaise , vegan mayonnaise of choice
1/4 cup sour cream of choice-I used a low sodium-10 mg.
1 teaspoon dill dry or 2 teaspoons fresh
about 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
garlic and onion powder to taste
fresh ground black pepper

I am working on a "uncheese " sauce for above. Also a healthier crust. Will post later.

Enjoy!!

Have a super day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this sounds like it would be nice with an egg white wash before baking. BTW why did you want a cream sause instread of a tomato based sauce???

Verna V said...

@AnonymousHi anonymous thanks for your comment.
Actually I opted for both and as I mention on my blog I am working on a tomatoe base also, but decided I didn't want to take away from the delicate taste of the broccoli. Also I had a recipe in my head with the mayo and sour cream that I new would work.

Verna V said...

Yes an egg white wash would be great. But I was not using eggs. Wasn't sure how the egg replacer would work as a wash.
Decided not to give it a try.
Have a great day.