Sunday, July 25, 2010

Shredded Beets

I had these red beets in the refrigerator and then someone gave me some yellow beets. I wasn't real sure what I wanted to do with them, but they needed to be used before they spoiled.

This is what I did.

Shredded Beets:

  1. I wash the beets and boiled them until almost tender.
  2. After they cooled down I sliced them in rounds, still wasn't real sure what I was going to do with these beets.
  3. I decided to julienne the beets.


With half of the beets I decided to do the following:

  1. I minced 4 clove garlic, browned them in a sprayed pan and then add the julienned beets.
  2. I decided to make a creamy sauce for on top of spaghetti or rice.
  3. I added about 1/2 cup sour cream-low sodium About 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast. Pinch of cayenne or to taste
  4. Add lots of fresh ground black pepper
  5. I threw in some fresh kale that I cheffinode-and continue cooking about 2-3 minutes
  6. Add a little bit of fresh grated ginger.

    I decided this really tasted good, but wanted to do something different with the other half of the julienned beets.

    Having left over sauce from the Tropical Cucumber Banana Salad, post June 29 that I served for a friends birthday party, I decided to try this on the left over beets.
    Adding some fresh orange zest and 2 oranges cleaned and diced, made for a delicious, light beet salad.

    Give them a try!! I think you will enjoy.

    Have a super day!!!!

No comments: