Monday, July 19, 2010

I am Sprouting!!

Have you ever sprouted seeds???? Now is the time to give it a try.

I have a sprouter, that I picked up at a local nutrition store a few years ago, and it makes sprouting so easy.

Sprouting is a wonderful way to get concentrated nutrients and vitamins in an easy to eat form. I use them on salads, sandwiches, in wraps, smoothies, also in soups.

Also can be used in making breads, tortilla shells, etc. for the more advanced.


Sprouting seeds in a jar:

This is the way I started out a few years ago.

1-If you go to a natural food store, you will have many choices of seeds to sprout. I like many different kinds, but the combination of seeds is probably my favorite. If you buy them in bulk , they will be less expensive.

2- Start out with a 2 quart jar. You will need cheesecloth or a mesh on the opening of your jar. You can hold the cheesecloth on with a rubber band.

3-You will need enough seeds that when you turn your jar on it's side, they will not overlap.

Cover seeds with warm water, to 3 times the amount of seeds. in your jar. You will want these to soak

for a few hours or overnight.

(Sprouting occurs best at temperatures that are 70-75 degrees.) After rinsing, spread seeds out , so that they lay in your jar on the side. (you can do this just by gently shaking the jar.) Put jar on an angle with the opening towards the bottom so water can drain out. Cover with a towel. Continue rinsing several times a day. I like doing this in my sink over the drainboard.

4-On the 3rd or 4th day when you see sprouts growing, remove towel, and move sprouts to a bright spot to encourage the formation of green leaves. Continue rinsing at least twice a day until sprouts are nice and green

5- Remove seeds from jar, rinse away the hulls. At this time I dry them with paper toweling, and store in a sandwich bag .( I like to put the sprouts jelly roll fashion on paper toweling to keep sprouts in top shape.) They will keep in your refrigerator up to at least 4 days.


Give it a try! Very healthy, easy and inexpensive. Oh and they are just so good for you!!


Have a fun day!!!!!

No comments: