Saturday, July 10, 2010

High Fiber Scottish Oat Muffins


My friend Jean told me about this recipe a few weeks ago. I was not in a hurry to try it as I so love my Zucchini Muffins, posted March 15th.

I didn't
think anything could be as good as my zucchini muffins. Well these were right up their even with the mistakes I made. I was in a hurry (oh gee is there anytime that we are not) and forgot to put in my egg replacer. In spite of that they still were very good. When you buy the cereal you will have the recipe, but I wanted to share changes I made.

The recipe is on the back of Bob's Red Mill, whole grain, High Fiber, Hot Cereal bag. It is called.

High Fiber Scottish Oat Muffins:

3/4 cup Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour-Make sure to use pastry flour, it is ground
much finer.
3/4 cups Bob's Red Mill Whole Grain High Fiber Cereal
1/2 cup brown sugar-I used dark brown organic sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder-aluminum free-It is believed aluminum causes Dementia and a
Alzheimer"s
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup banana mashed. I had frozen bananas in freezer, I thawed the bananas, and it worked
great.
1/2 cup plain yogurt-I used Greek Yogurt-lower in sodium
1 whole egg-I used egg replacer, but as I said forgot to put it in.
2 Tablespoons oil-I used plain applesauce in place of the oil. I didn't want the fat.
1/2 teaspoon vanilla-don't use imitation
1/2 cup shredded carrots-you may want to shred your own as the ones you buy are too coarse
1/2 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:
1-Mix together dry ingredients. In separate bowl mix together wet ingredients. Combine
the two mixtures and stir until moistened.. Fold in carrots, dates and walnuts. (Don't forget
the egg replacer)
2-Lightly spray muffin tin. ( I used the mini muffin tins-prefer them to the large muffin tins)
Fill 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes. If the large muffins you will get 12-with
the mini muffin tins, I was able to get 24 muffins.

Note: Because I used the mini tins, I decreased the baking time to 10 minutes. Check with toothpick to see if done.

Be sure to leave the egg replacer sit for at least 5 minutes to get thick.

Thanks Jean for telling me about this recipe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a really good muffin. Am looking forward to my first batch.

Verna V said...

You are going to love this recipe.
Thank you for your comment.