Monday, February 14, 2011

Cajun Crispy "Cakes"


These are really good. This recipe makes 12 "cakes". They are very quick and easy to make.
The recipe came from Vegan Dad website, but I made several changes.
Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon oil-I used coconut oil for sauteing the veggies
  • 1/4 cup diced onion
  • 1/4 cup diced green pepper-I used more like 1/3 of a cup
  • 1 celery stalk diced-again I used more like 1 1/2 stalks
  • 1 -28 oz can chick peas- I used 2- 15 oz cans of Garbanzo Beans, (which are chickpeas) rinsed and drained
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp hot sauce-I did more like 2 teaspoons plus
  • 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 Tablespoons flour-I used Whole Wheat Pastry Flour.
  • 1 Tablespoon cornstarch-I used Arrowroot
  • 1 tsp thyme-I used 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning instead
  • salt and pepper to taste-I used no salt
  • oil for frying-I used about 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil

Direction:

  1. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Saute onion, green pepper, celery 5-7 minutes.
  2. Place Garbanzo Beans in food processor along with the onion mixture and parsley.
  3. Pulse until Garbanzo Beans are no longer whole, but don't over process.
  4. Place Garbanzo Bean mixture in a bowl.
  5. Add spices, hot sauce, Mix well.
  6. Add flour and cornstarch mix well.
  7. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  8. Heat oil in frying pan.
  9. Shape Garbanzo Bean mixture into 12 patties.
  10. Fry until crispy, turn and do other side until crispy. About 2-3 minutes on each side.
  11. Put on toasted bun or eat as is.
  12. I put some of my Tofu Dip on top. which I put Cajun Spices in.

This is a really good sandwich. If you don't like spice, go easy on the Hot sauce and Cayenne pepper.

Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

Jean L. said...

These are SOOOO good. . .We had them with asparagus & a spinach salad and we WILL be having them again. . .but will definitely spice them up a bit more. YUM. . .
YUM. Vegan Dad.blogspot.com ROCKS!

Anonymous said...

You could do a variation and give the cakes an east coast "crab cake" flavor:
Simply add Old Bay seasoning. Or if you don't have that: use your coffee grinder and grind up a bay leaf. Also include a little cerlery salt, black pepper, paperika. If you really want to go crazy you can even add some ground mace and some cardamom.