Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Verna's Sloppy Joes

I have played around with the original recipe, and this is what I have come up with. It will make a large amount. My 7 Quart crock pot was 2/3 full.
That is so nice as you can freeze for future use, or share with a friend.


Ingredients:

  • 1 large onion -chopped
  • 4-5 large garlic cloves-minced fine
  • 1 large red or green pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 12-16 oz. portabella mushrooms-chopped to consistency of hamburger.
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and mashed
  • 1 16 oz. bag of dried brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
  • 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes- I used fresh frozen
  • 3-4 cups broth-I used my home made broth
  • 1 jar Green Mountain, Roasted Garlic Salsa
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoon brown sugar
  • 4 Herb Ox, Beef no salt bouillon
  • lots of freshly ground black pepper
  • I threw in about 1 cup chopped roasted red peppers that I had in my freezer.
  • 1 teaspoon salt-optional

Directions:

  1. Brown onions, garlic, and peppers in a large , sprayed skillet, 3-4 minutes.
  2. Add portabella mushrooms, continue cooking 4-5 minutes.
  3. Add chili powder, stir to coat.
  4. Transfer the mixture to a 4-5 quart slow cooker.
  5. Add tomatoes,broth, black beans, lentils, salsa mustard,
  6. brown sugar.
  7. Stir to combine. Cover and cook 8-10 hours.
  8. After completely cooked, add Herb Ox Bouillon, salt and black pepper.

Comments from Verna's Kitchen:

After the Sloppy Joe's where completely cooked, I took my stick blender and blender about 1/3 of the mixture. I didn't want the lentils to be apparent.

This is always better the second day.

This is really good on a toasted bun with a slice of tomato, onion and baby greens.

Enjoy!!

No comments: