Thursday, February 10, 2011

Delightful Date Truffles

Be My Valentine!
-

Do you realise that Valentines Day is only 4 days away!!!

How about making the love in your life some healthy candies.

I found this recipe in the Vegan Table Cookbook by Colleen Patrick -Goudreau

They are very tasty without all the calories.


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup raw almonds or walnuts
  • 20 large Medjool Dates-pitted
  • 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
  • zest from 1 medium-large orange
  • 2 Tablespoons Agave Nectar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt-didn't use
  • Directions:
  1. Grind almonds in a food processor until fine.
  2. Add dates and the rest of the ingredients. Blend until it forms a ball
  3. If to dry add more Agave Nectar.
  4. Form into small balls. Will make about 30.
Comments from Verna's kitchen:
  1. -I took half the recipe and added unsweetened shredded coconut to the mixture.
  2. The recipe suggested rolling these in cocoa powder.-That sounded harsh to me.
  3. Instead I melted some Natural Chocolate Chips, ( or chips of choice) and rolled my Truffle's in that.
  4. Put on wax paper to dry.
  5. Some of the truffles that I had added coconut to I sprinkled lightly with coconut.
  6. These freeze really nice. I froze most of them, so that I wouldn't be tempted.
  7. Medjool dates are a bigger, sweeter and been told a creamier date.
  8. I bought mine at Free Market on Wisconsin Ave by Heavenly Ham.

**There is a new chocolate chip on the market, called Chocolate Dream. It is Dairy Free and Gluten Free. On top of that it actually tastes great.

Enjoy!!

Have s super, stay warm day!!!

Don't do like I did today, and got stuck, in some way to deep snow. Thank God for the mailman who had a big shovel and helped me out!!!

Spring is 6 weeks away!!

No comments: