Sunday, February 20, 2011

Perk'y Nutty Power Bars



I was asked for some dessert recipes.
-
I have been making this recipe off and on for a few years. Probably more off as it leaves way too many treats, in the house which is way too tempting for me. Freezing doesn't really keep me out of them, as I sure know where my freezer is.
-
The recipe, calls for Perk'y Nutty Flax Cereal. I found this at Festival Foods in the Natural Food Aisle near the bottom of the shelf, , on the left hand side as you go towards the back of the store.
-
Yesterday when I was at the store I found these yummy chips. They are really good, and melt better than carob chips.
-
Ingredients:
  • I cup Sunflower Butter, nut butter or peanut butter with the oil poured off. (I used the latter as I had it in the house)
  • 3/4-1 cup Brown Rice Syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (no imitation, please) I used 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 box -Perk's Nutty Flax Cereal. When I went to pick this up a while back, Festival Foods was out of it. I used Perky's Crunch Flax Cereal, which work just fine.
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips-I used Chocolate Dream Chips
  • 1/2 cup dried fruit
  • 1/2 cup seeds or nuts of choice
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut-optional
-
Directions:
  1. Stir together sunflower butter, nut butter or peanut butter, and rice syrup in a small saucepan.
  2. Stir over medium heat until melted.
  3. Place all the rest of the ingredients (not vanilla) in a large bowl.
  4. Add vanilla to melted mixture.
  5. Mix well.
  6. Pour over cereal mixture.
  7. Mix well. I did this with my hands.
  8. Press into a sprayed 13 by 9" glass pan. Press down.
  9. The original recipe did not call for baking these bars. I like to bake at 350 degrees until golden brown.
  10. (The bars hold together better if they are baked)
  11. Optional-Again the recipe did not call for this, but after the bars are baked, sprinkle with chips.
    Put back into the oven to melt.
  12. Spread over the top with a knife.
Enjoy!!!
-
It is a good day to bake as we will probably be snowed in. Predicting up to 12 " of snow today.
Hmm! let's see if we get it.
-
Have a wonderful day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

why not carob chips?

Anonymous said...

why not carob chips?