Saturday, February 12, 2011

Verna's Wild Rice Citrus Salad


After CHIP Class on Tuesday evening I went to Festival Foods to pick up the groceries for Thursday's class.
As so often happens after class, I find myself hungry as I have not eaten any supper. I purchased a Citrus salad from the deli, which I tried to make the next day.
I love trying to duplicate food that I have tried. That practice does not always turn out well, but I felt this salad was delicious. I just had some for breakfast.
  • Ingredients:
  • 4 cups cooked wild rice
  • 3 Tablespoons frozen orange concentrate-do not dilute
  • zest from 1 orange
  • 1- 11 oz.can mandarin oranges drained.-actually I used 2 cans
  • 1 cup dried cranberries or cherries
  • 3/4 cup Grapeseed Oil Vegenaise
  • 1/2-3/4 cup slivered almonds
  • 1 bunch green onions- chopped fine
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 2 teaspoons Braggs apple Cider Vinegar
Directions:
  1. cook rice according to pkg. directions.
  2. cool.
  3. Add the rest of the ingredients.
  4. Refrigerate several hours to marinate flavors.
  5. Serve on a bed of baby greens or fresh spinach.
Enjoy!!!!

No comments: