Friday, February 18, 2011

Potato Pancakes



Oh my gosh, these are so very good!!!
I found the recipe in -Vegan Table by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau.
When my kids where growing up I made a lot of potato pancakes with eggs as a binder. They where so very good and inexpensive.
-
Since I have been in CHIP I have made several different versions of Potato Pancake's
But none as great as these.
-
These are absolutely fabulous. Give them a try!!!!!! I think you will feel the same. I used my ice cream scoop, to shape the potato pancakes. That did not work very well, as the pancakes where way too big. The outsides where crispy and the insides raw. Yuk!!!!
I found my little Pampered Chef Scoop, (top picture) which worked great. If you don't have a scoop, a small spoon would work also. Don't make the pancakes larger than 2 Tablespoons. 1 tablespoon would work also.
-
I served the pancakes with my home made applesauce with no sugar or seasoning and some of the pancakes with a small scoop of low sodium sour cream. (10 mg.)
Wow, they are so good. Or maybe I just like potato pancakes, or maybe just hungry. All kidding aside these are great.
-
Ingredients:
  • 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed
  • 1/4 cup warm water
  • 4 cups, peeled and shredded potato's (about 5.) I used my box grater to accomplish this.
  • 1 Tablespoon all purpose flour-I used Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
  • 6 scallions- chopped fine. Another word for scallions is green onions. Use the greens of the onions also. I saved a few greens for garnish.
  • 1/2-1 teaspoon salt-I did use this as potato's, scream for salt when fixed this way.
  • Canola oil for frying (I used coconut oil) or you could use a spray.
  • Applesauce or sour cream for accompaniments.
-
Directions:
  1. In a food processor or blender, combine water and flaxseed, blend on high for about 2 minutes until nice and creamy. Set aside.
  2. This next step is so important to have nice crispy pancakes.
  3. Spread shredded potato's on a white towel . Roll up jelly roll fashion . Twisting the ends, squeeze out all the water, twisting tightly.
  4. If the towel is wet, do this a second time on a dry towel,
  5. Put potato's, flaxseed mixture in a bowl.
  6. Add onions, flour and salt. I also added freshly ground black pepper.
  7. Mix well with hands. To get a feel for the mixture.
  8. You want the mixture to be moist but not wet.
  9. Put small amount of mixture ( no more than 2 Tablespoons) in a SMALL amount of oil. (Make sure your oil is hot)
  10. Flatten tops.
  11. Fry until crispy, flip and do the same until bottom is golden brown.
  12. Do not flip more than once as potato's will absorb too much oil. Put on paper towels.
Serve hot.
-
Enjoy!!!
-
Have a super great weekend.
.

No comments: