Sunday, August 28, 2011

Mac and Cheese




Are you hungry for a real comfort food?


I have been wanting to try this recipe for some time. When I saw broccoli in my frig, screaming to be used, I decided this was the day.


Ingredients:


  • 1 lb WW elbow macaroni cooked according to directions-I used 1/2 lb

  • 3 cups broccoli florets-I doubled the broccoli

  • 1/4 cup Earth Balance

  • 1/3 cup flour of choice

  • 3 cups of soy, or rice milk-unflavored

  • 1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast

  • 2 Tablespoons tomato paste

  • 2 teaspoons sea salt-I used about 1 1/2-desperately needs some salt

  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder

  • I also added 1 teaspoon onion powder and freshly ground black pepper

  • 1 Tablespoon lemon juice

  • 1 Tablespoon Agave Nectar


Directions:



  1. Cook macaroni according to pkg directions. add broccoli for about 3-4 minutes.

  2. Make a roux with the Earth Balance and flour.

  3. Add milk of choice. I used my immersion blender to mix this. Went very quickly.

  4. Add yeast, paste,salt garlic and onion powder. Continue to thicken.

  5. Add lemon juice and agave and pepper to taste.

  6. Add drained broccoli and macaroni.

  7. Serve immediately

  8. I added some low sodium pickle relish which gave it a great boost.




Enjoy!!!

No comments: