Thursday, August 11, 2011

Yellow Beet Cold Soup

Yellow Beets





I went to Festival Foods on Northland Ave. yesterday to pick up some groceries.




Of course I had to stop at the Farmers Market which is there between 8-1 o'clock on Wednesday morning's. I was looking for some yellow beets and found a bunch which was perfect. You can get them at Festival also. You need to let them know you want them and they will have them for you the next day.




I love beets in all different ways. Roasting them is a super way to go.




I found this recipe on the PPK Blog. If you like beets you will enjoy this recipe. Yellow beets are sweeter than the red beets.




This soup is very smooth and so quick and easy to make. The hardest part is roasting the beets.




The recipe called for wrapping the beets in foil and baking at 350 degrees. Any of you that know me, know I will not use tin foil. (believed to cause dementia and alshemiers)
I put parchment paper on a baking sheet. which I sprayed lightly
I then put the scrubbed beets on the parchment paper and baked at 400 degrees for about an hour, turning once halfway through. Beets are done when easily pierced with a steak fork.




I then took them out of the oven, put them on a cooling rack. I covered with a clean white towel and left sit for a good hour too cool. After cooled, I slid off the peels.




As usual I did change the recipe and added extra ingredients as I thought it was way to flat. This is my recipe with changes.




Ingredients:






  • lbs. yellow beets trimmed and scrubbed



  • 1 15 oz can lite coconut milk



  • 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice-I added more, go according to your taste.



  • Lime zest



  • 1/2 teaspoon salt



  • 2 clove garlic minced



  • 1 Tablespoon minced ginger



  • 1 1/2-2 cups vegetable broth



  • 1-2 teaspoons Agave Nectar



  • 1/8 teaspoon allspice



  • 2 Herb Ox no sodium chicken bouillon.



Directions:






  1. Roast the beets-directions on top



  2. Put all ingredients except ginger, garlic and broth in a food processor and blend until very creamy.



  3. Saute garlic an ginger in sprayed pan for no more than 1 minute, or garlic may become bitter.



  4. Add vegetable broth to deglaze the pan.



  5. Add to food processor.



  6. Continue blending until very smooth.



  7. Put in glass container and refrigerate several hours till well chilled.



  8. Serve cold.



Garnish with:



Thinly sliced green onions



Sriracha Sauce






Enjoy!












No comments: